Monday, April 23, 2012

sorry for the wait


As I think long and hard about this class, I often wonder: why am I here? Like I have said before, this wasn’t the class I thought it was, but somehow I can’t leave. My curiosity gets the best of me and I keep coming back for more. While I was listening to everyone talk at the meeting that was held last Friday, I felt like I was in over my head. Being the youngest is the room, it felt like I was pushed into the deep in and everything that was spoken was over my head. I’m not the best at verbally communicating how I feel; I rather put my thoughts into words. It looked like I was texting throughout the meeting but in actuality I was gathering my thoughts into something that understandable. The only thing that I could comprehend was that Drexel wants to strengthen its ties to the surrounding communities, and the communities don’t want Drexel to overshadow them. I feel like Drexel and the Lancaster community is in a game of tug-a-war and it’s only a matter of time before someone wins. I know that Drexel wants to expand its campus and seeing how more and more people are going to higher education, it’s only right for them to get bigger. What bothers me is that Drexel might push too hard and Lancaster will feel the aftermath. I would compare Drexel to an empire. It’s seated in an ideal location, but wants to expand its walls. With their hearts in the pocketbook, they do whatever is necessary to increase its already growing numbers. Those of the surrounding kingdoms/neighborhoods that don’t bend to their will will face the consequences of their actions. Those that accept that they are powerless to stop this great empire will do whatever is needed to survive. The people of Lancaster will see their community get over run by partying college students and their homes will be taken by Drexel’s professors. I know Drexel wants to handle this situation as nicely as possible, but if Drexel doesn’t get its way, it will take it out on Lancaster. I just want everyone that is involved in this process to be caution of those around, because at the end of the end, people are only looking out for themselves. 

1 comment:

  1. This was really insightful!! I definitely agree that all parties involved in creating a long-lasting bond between Drexel and our surrounding communities need to be sensitive of each other and that there's always going to be some give and take.
    ps - way to soak it all in!! lol

    ReplyDelete