Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Miwon Kwon


What I got from Miwon Kwon’s One Place After Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity is that art doesn’t have to be just the painting, but it could be where the painting is placed. Art doesn’t have to be something that is hanging in some fancy gallery, but it can be the litter that fills the street. I might be going about this the wrong way, but the artists that venture the standard path can be showing us the world unknown. After reading Olivia’s post on this topic, it became clear to me that these artists are representing the invisible. They are going outside of the notion that art is just pretty, they are bring to life things that most doesn’t even know exist. This is closely related to what we were talking about in class of the invisible city and how we make it visible by taking pictures of it.  These artists are doing the same thing that we were doing. I didn’t understand this reading very much and I could be reading it all wrong. Hopefully I’m not, but if I am then please correct me. 

1 comment: